Sunday, February 8, 2009

WU - there it is!

你好 (Nee how)

Growing up in Thailand with a set of Chinese grandparents was a fun experience. My grandparents migrated from China to Thailand and ended up in a town call Chonburi. My grandmother had TWELVE children and they were all BOYS! My father is the youngest of the 12 children and he is one of only three still alive. My grandparents used to call me Chiang Wei, which is a species of rose native to China. Wu is my Chinese last name and I am grateful for the 50% Chinese blood that I have.

We moved to Taipei, Taiwan when I was 13 because of my father's job. My first few months in Taipei were tough from a communication perspective. I really struggled with learning to communicate in Chinese effectively. It was one of the most difficult languages that I have tried to learn.

So tonight, I thought I would practice my Chinese and it brought back memories of my "WU" grandparents. I am happy for getting a chance to visit their homeland - WU there it is!

3 comments:

  1. Hey there -

    I'm number one, I'm number one!! Your first Follower . . .

    It is going to be so interesting traveling with you in China - what a unique perspective you will have to offer to all us.

    See you on Wednesday -

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montira, this is great! I agree with Scott 100% and am really glad you are also in the group that is going to China one day in advance. So, what do we do when we first get there on Friday afternoon besides try to stay awake?

    I can't believe we only have two weeks left!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, we shall sightsee, eat yummy dinner and get a nice massage before bed! ;)

    ReplyDelete